Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The 80's Baby!

Quote(s) of The Day

I would not advise turning your frown upside down. The surgery is extremely painful and not covered by most insurance.

Two wrongs don't make a right.  But two Wrights can make an airplane.


Video(s) of The Day

Ok first of all, let me just say that I'm not sure if I should be impressed by this guy or disturbed by how good his female singing voice is.  You decide.




I Was Born Then!

Oh hey, it's me again.  People know this already, but I am a big fan of 80's music.  The thing that not a lot of people know is how I started liking it. (Literally only one person, I think, knows the back story why.)  It's not that I'm ashamed of it or that I don't like other music, it's just that I didn't feel it necessary to tell anyone or no one else would listen to the story.  I really like the sound of the music better than current stuff and the artists don't sound like they are trying to impress everyone, but rather they are performing because it's their passion.  The way it all began for me was when I was starting at a new school and my pops would drop me off before he would go to work.  He would always turn on the radio, because I wouldn't talk in the truck or I'd be sleeping, but he would always have it on an 80's station.  I believe it was 93.1 KQMQ at the time.  At first I could not stand it, then I began to actually listen to the lyrics and the "meaning" behind the songs and I really enjoyed them.  The songs grew on me and I was hooked and couldn't get enough. So in terms it was my father that prompted my liking of the sounds of the 80's.  It wasn't hard when you had great bands like Earth Wind and Fire, and KC and the Sunshine band.  Though some of them didn't begin their legendary musical careers in the 80's, their music carried through to the next decades like a locomotive made of Charlie Sheen after banging out four lines of coke and slamming back three Redbulls. Also the many "Hair Bands" of the 80's were great.  Poison and Kiss and even Guns N Roses (Who I think had one of the coolest 80's icon, Saul Hudson otherwise known as Slash).

 They all had amazing bands, and I'm very impressed that so many of them survived the massive amounts of drugs they probably did off of groupies asses backstage.  On the other hand you also had massive amounts of "one hit wonders", such as the song, "I Ran" By A Flock of Seagulls.  You gotta give credit to the them though, they did make it even if for a short time, and they did it while looking like crazy people.


But let's forget about the hair bands and the one hit wonders for a second and let's talk about the bands that made it.  The big timers, and the bands that everyone knows their songs.  I'm talking about bands like Queen and Journey.  If there were bands where I'd want as my life's background music, it would most likely be Queen and Journey.  If you don't think so, I'd fight you to the death.  Just listen to these songs and tell me that you wouldn't want that playing for you everyday in the background.



Now what do you think?  Amazing right?  Well if you still don't think so, then we can no longer be friends.  Just kidding.... sorta. In all honesty I can only listen to so much of the music of today, but if you put songs on from the 80's I'll listen to it all day.  There are so many other bands and artist I haven't talked about; Duran Duran, Devo, ToTo, Madona, Bon Jovi, Twisted Sister, Van Halen, the list goes on, but trust me when I say that they are all amazing.  So in closing I leave you with two more songs from Journey and Queen. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment